Friday, February 02, 2007

Primo Prime - Product Review

The Ground Men's Prime Jacket caught my attention when I first looked over the Ground product line. It looked good even in the pictures, so I was very interested to checkout what it felt like and how well it worked outside in practical applications. I basically fell in love with the Prime as soon as I put it on, and decided to buy it. It has served me well in several ways, and has proved to be a versatile jacket in the Montana winter.


Everyday Use:

The Ground Prime is definitly a coat that you can wear everyday. It's reversible, which is the first feature I really like about it, so you essentially get two jackets in one. I purchased the Graphite/Crimson version, wearing mostly the Graphite. If you decide to reverse it, there's a smart little pocket built in so you can hide the tag. Simple and effective. Other cool features include soft-brushed tricot hand pockets, hidden breast pocket, no-snag zippers, and elastic cuffs on the sleeves.

For everyday use, this jacket works because it's not too bulky and it's extremely warm, even in low-output activities. Filled with synthetic Primaloft Sport, it stays warm even when wet, and provides adequate insulation in most circumstances. The Prime is perfect for wearing around town.

Snowshoeing:

I put on the Prime over a base layer and snowshoed a couple of miles in 20 degree weather, and the jacket was super warm. Warm enough that I needed to unzip it about half way once I really got going, but it never presented a real problem. For super high-output activities, it should be reserved for very cold days.

Snowboarding:

I tried the Prime as an outer layer one day up at Bridger Bowl, in place of a shell. It snowed pretty hard that day, but it was cold, and I never got wet. It kept me plenty warm with a skin layer and light fleece underneath. I was unsure how it perform in those elements but it did a great job.

Maintenence:

I got my Prime pretty dirty over New Year's Weekend in Atlanta, but it's machine washable and cleaned up easily. You have to hang dry it, but it dries really fast. Hang it overnight and it will be ready the next morning.

All in all, this is the best jacket I've owned for quite some time for everyday use.

No comments: