Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sconnie's Folly aka Beehive and Fraizer Basins

Southwest Montana was lucky enough to get a pretty good dump on Friday, followed by bluebird skies on the weekend. It’s the kind of weather pattern that skiers long for all season. The master plan was to take full advantage of the new powder by heading on long backcountry day trips on both weekend days.

Saturday was a fun day up Beehive Basin. We skied all the way to the back of the basin, but didn’t feel confident skiing anything steep because of the unstable snow pack. Instead, we found a few cliffs that had no avy risk, and a lot of snow at the bottom. The mottos this season… “Sometimes you’re bad-ass, sometimes you’re just an ass.” I was definitely the latter. This was a 15ft-to-face-plant extravaganza, which hurt my pride more than my body. Thankfully Abbey botched her cliff-drop attempt, but I think she just did it to make me feel better. It’s hard not to laugh at yourself when the sun is shining and the snow is deep.

Sunday, Jud and I broke trail all the way up to a basin just north of Fraizer Basin in the Northern Bridger Range. This is a part of the Bridgers that sees little use even on the best of days and it’s spectacular. We literally had the whole place to ourselves. As a skier, there is nothing better than making fresh turns the whole day absent of lift lines, and some Obsidian Stout back at the trailhead.

I hope my folly makes you happy,
Sconnie



No comments: