Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Gally Rising

It looks like spring runoff is here. I was on the Gallatin Wednesday evening at 2000 cfs and it was great to be back on my home river, it’s a lot like seeing an old friend. Last year the Gally reached about 4500cfs and was incredible ride. If you’re ever in the Bozeman area and get a chance to paddle the Gally at high flows you'll know what I mean. At this flow, I’d say the majority of the run fell into the class III+ range. Higher and it gets to be a solid class IV. All went well; with some fun play spots and one sort of beat down in a retentive hole, but I made it out ok. If you ever have any questions about paddling in the Bozeman Area, let me know. For those who haven’t decided to leap into kayaking, rafting the House Rock section of the river is also a great experience and there are a few excellent raft companies to choose from. I'm going to try to get out on Friday and hopefully I have some photos or video for ya!

No comments: