Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Creekboating and Infinity Mountain


Creekboating often draws a “what is that?” response for family and friends. It’s kayaking… but it’s the kind of kayaking you watch and say, “holy crap I can’t believe he/she just did that”. It has a higher inherent danger level and requires more river intelligence and skill than most traditional play-boat runs. Generally speaking, you’re talking about a class 4 or 5 river with steep gradient which may include waterfalls, giant holes, log jams, sieves, potential pitons, swift water rescue skills, boat extraction knowledge… the boats them selves come in many shapes and sizes, but have higher volume than play boats and usually a displacement hull and sort of bulbous features.

With that said, I have my first creekboat, and I can’t wait to put a few scratches in it! It’s a Bliss-Stick Huka… check it out. As a beginning creek-boater, I look to people pushing the sport for inspiration. Montana has no shortage of people running rivers that make my knees week, but the majority of them don’t have sites that are regularly updated on their adventures. Someday I’ll paddle that runs through my mind constantly when I take a look at what Robin and friends are up to at Infinity Mountain. They're still getting the site dialed in... but the pics are incredible. Check it out and understand the level these guys are at. They also backcountry ski, climb, hike, and generally make use of their surroundings in the best way… something we really dig at Powderfin.

No comments: