Thursday, April 12, 2007

Spring Runoff Countdown...

Spring Runoff is a highly anticipated event in the Rockies. This marks the beginning off the rafting and kayaking season. The water levels rise in the rivers, making the water faster, bigger, and more fun. In Bozeman, we’re lucky enough to have access to incredible whitewater within a reasonable drive. The Gallatin, Madison, and Yellowstone Rivers offer great kayaking for nearly every level of paddler during this time.

For more info on Bozeman area rivers click here. For more on rivers in your area click here. The river links provide some description as well as pictures and movies. This is also handy information for fly-fishermen who buy from Powderfin!

As with the ski season, I prep myself by watching movies of guys doing lines I would never take, Hucking like I would never dream, and I look though last years pictures and think of my goals this year.

My 3rd year kayaking goals are…
1. Many trips down Bear Trap Canyon (Madison River)
2. Get on the Lochsa for my first time
3. First try at real creek boating (Hyalite?)
4. Alberton Gorge at high water.
5. Run the Swan?

I’ll keep you updated on my progress and beat-downs as they occur.

Happy Paddling,

~Sconnie
(the picture above is Mrs. Bubbles on the Yellowstone, when she’s perfect. After that… a Wavesport Z and a Piranha Sub 7 inside the Buick, and they said it coudn't be done… ha!)

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

No comments: