Sunday, January 07, 2007

Saturday Snowshoe


I finally got to bust out the snowshoes on Saturday, which was nice considering the insane amounts of food and drink I've consumed since mid-November...as most people can relate. I gave the Crescent Moon Gold Series 9's a shot, and I was impressed. The most important thing to me when it comes to snowshoes is how easy they are to put on and take off. These are definitely the easiest I've ever come across. It's been a few years since I've used Tubbs or Atlas, and although I like the MSR Ascents because they're light and fast, the Crescent Moon's are big enough for deep snow and light enough not to annoy you. But as I said, they're a breeze... one elastic strap up front to either tighten or loosen, and a ratchet strap on the back. Very impressive bindings to say the least. Simple. That comes in handy when it's cold and you're trying to work with mittens. And I suppose most importantly, after about 20 minutes of cruising along, I forgot I had them on, and never paid attention to the shoes until I got back to the truck. That's a good sign. Here's a picture of the binding...




Zeuser and I headed up to Bear Canyon outside of Bozeman. It was a typical windy day, but once we got into the woods it was pretty peaceful. Saw some turkeys, a bald eagle, and many other snowshoers and/or x-country skiers with smiles on their faces. Nice day to be outside, turkeys.

No comments: