Saturday, November 25, 2006

Bee Hive Basin...Bro...

Despite no new snow in the area, Sunday 11/18/06 seemed like a good day to get out and burn some fat before Thanksgiving rolled around. Chris and I headed up to Big Sky, met up with a friend of his and his 15 year old son, and began the trek up to beautiful Bee Hive Basin around 10:30 or so. Lone Peak was looking ferocious as always, not quite covered but enough snow to tease.

As usual, I was pretty much the slowest one in the group, but I'll blame it on being on snowshoes instead of skins. I need to pick up a splitboard, since these two plankers will most likely never re-convert me regardless of their incessant "knuckle dragger" jokes. I'm kinda lazy on the way down, and snowboarding provides a lazy fluidity that is nearly perfect in my opinion. And if the snow is above your knee... forget about it.

It was a cloudy Sunday, which actually provided some pretty amazing vistas full of stratified cloud layers and intermittent shafts of light. I kept thinking the sun would bust out, but it never quite made it. You could see for miles, which was the main attraction way up on the ridge.

I think we went in about 2 1/2 hours or so. All I know is that I was hungry when we got up there, and ready to make some turns. We hiked quite a distance for a short run, partly due to the fact that I didn't want to take another lap. But the views were worth it, and as always, Zeuser had a blast.



No comments: