Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Bear Trap Canyon Breezes

"Breeze" is a pretty mild term for what actually takes place in Bear Trap Canyon, 20 miles or so west of Four Corners, MT. It's a lower Madison River canyon that provides a nice setting for a hike, and holds some sizeable trout. I cruised up there last Saturday, basically because I hadn't casted in awhile. It was 32, but sunny in town, so it was nice enough to give it a shot... and I convinced Chris to come with.

I managed to lasso a nice rainbow with a flesh colored streamer, but somehow broke him off on my brand new 3x leader. That's pretty much like missing a 3 footer for birdie. It's always frustrating to break one off, especially on the heavy stuff. Nice to be hooked up, though... Chris caught a nice brown. I love it when he catches fish, it helps him become a more confident angler and adds to the chances that I'll have someone to fish with when I get the next itch.

Bear Trap is a nice place to go, regardless of the outcome. Yeah, it's windy, but it's beautiful anyway. It's -2 degrees at the moment, so I reckon I won't be flailing fly line around for awhile. Looks like it's time to start spinning bugs.

No comments: