Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Big Horn Breather


Meat with a side of meat

Jason wrangled a few on dries

typical Big Horn Bow






I hadn't been over to the Big Horn since February of 2007, otherwise known as our Big Horn Bro Down. It was pretty much the same idea... a bunch of dudes, dogs, and drinking beer. Oh yeah, and doing some fly fishing. We had a different place to stay this time around, known as the Brown Palace, which is located in a small group of "cabins" known as Cottonwood Camp. The place was perfect for what we needed. It had beds, a fridge for beers, a freezer for ice, a stove for elk steaks, and even a satellite TV for Sportscenter.





Fishing was good on pink and orange scuds, #20's mostly. We caught some decent fish, nothing monstrous. Jason caught a handful on dries... and I don't think anyone did any streamer fishing. I did have one nice follow and swipe from a good sized brown on a mouse pattern. That was a first for me, which was pretty exciting. Exciting enough for me to completely airball on it... but fun nonetheless. I even missed Kansas whoopin' up on Mizzery to fish on Saturday. It was worth it, fishing was good. But... if you go, bring warm clothes. More importantly, bring them WITH YOU on the float. I made that mistake on Saturday, and I paid the price. It did make for a wonderful hot shower and whiskey drink when we got back. The showers at the Brown Palace are top notch, by the way.

Great trip, long hangover.




No comments: